Serves 5 (serving size: 2 cups)
A bread salad is a delicious way to breathe new life into day-old bread. Ciabatta bread lends crunch and texture, soaks up juices and dressings, and adds toasty flavor. We toast the bread in the oven, but if you already have the grill cranked up, this salad easily transitions to an outdoor dish. We recommend showcasing seasonally prime veggies for optimum taste and freshness. In spring, cherry tomatoes are your best bet. By allowing a few well-chosen convenience items to shine, this supremely simple salad comes together in only 20 minutes. Serve it at room temperature or slightly chilled for best results.
- 1 (8-oz.) ciabatta loaf
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (15-oz.) can unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8.5-oz.) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Calories 347
- Fat 16g
- Satfat 4.2g
- Monofat 8.8g
- Polyfat 1.8g
- Protein 11g
- Carbohydrate 40g
- Fiber 6g
- Cholesterol 15mg
- Iron 2mg
- Sodium 599mg
- Calcium 132mg
- Sugars 3g
- Est. added sugars 0g
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove and discard crust from ciabatta; cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Spread bread cubes in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes or until toasted and golden.
Combine toasted bread, tomatoes, chickpeas, artichoke hearts, feta, onion, and basil in a large bowl.
In a separate smaller bowl, combine oil, vinegar, oregano, pepper, and salt. Stir with a whisk. Pour over salad; toss to combine. Garnish with chopped fresh basil.