Chicken spaghetti recipe
- Meat and poultry
- Chicken pasta
- Chicken and mushroom
A really easy supper that will please the whole family. Chicken breast strips are browned and tossed with mushrooms, green pepper, onion, spaghetti and your favourite shop bought pasta sauce.
21 people made this
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 450g skinless, boneless chicken breast - cut into strips
- 225g spaghetti
- 250g pasta sauce
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:40min
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Saute mushrooms, pepper and onion until soft; remove from frying pan and set aside. Saute chicken for about 15 minutes, or until cooked through and juices run clear. Return mushroom mixture to frying pan and stir all together.
- Boil pasta in salted water for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Return pasta to pot over medium heat and stir in pasta sauce; heat through, then stir in chicken mixture and heat through, stirring. Serve hot.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(18)
Reviews in English (14)
This was simple and an easy recipe for work day evenings. I agree with another reviewer that the quailiy depends on the sauce you use. I did adjust the recipe and added canned tomatoes and tomato past to the sauce.-08 Jan 2006
This is a great recipe for a quick family dinner. I think the results depend a great deal on the quality of the spagetti sauce that is used. Unfortunately I used a brand that was on sale instead of my usual more expensive one. I will know better next time!-10 Feb 2005
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 4 ounces cream cheese with chives
- 1 pound angel hair pasta
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in the package of dressing mix. Blend in wine and golden mushroom soup. Mix in cream cheese, and stir until smooth. Heat through, but do not boil. Arrange chicken breasts in a single layer in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour sauce over.
Bake for 60 minutes in the preheated oven. Twenty minutes before the chicken is done, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a rolling boil. Cook pasta until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain. Serve chicken and sauce over pasta.
Chicken in Spaghetti? YES WAY!
I admit, I was hesitant to try this recipe because we’ve enjoyed our classic spaghetti recipe for so long which has red sauce and beef. Having said that, chicken + pasta is my favorite dinner combo, so we knew we had to try it out. I’m happy to report that the result was amazing (and SO EASY to make).
When you see the ingredients for this recipe, it will be so obvious as to why it was such a huge hit. The main ingredients are:
We were surprised that it had some spices in it (salsa, Mexican cheese, and taco seasoning), but we actually LOVED all the flavors! It wasn’t spicy at all, but instead of the Italian seasonings you’d expect in spaghetti, this had Mexican flavors that made this recipe so delicious!
In a large frying pan melt the 1/2 stick of butter, cut the chicken into bite size pieces and saute in the butter.
When no longer pink inside add the chopped onions and chopped green pepper, I only cook the onion and green pepper for a couple minutes I like them a little crunchy. Your choice! Salt and pepper to your taste.
Boil spaghetti in a large pan of water. Cook according to the package. Drain the pasta after cooked and discard the water. DO NOT RINSE! Set cooked pasta aside.
Add the tomatoes, soup, and spaghetti to the sautéed chicken, onion and green pepper mixture and gently fold.
Add the cheese and stir together, mixing well add salt and pepper to your taste. Heat until cheese is thoroughly melted, but be careful not to BURN.
Garnish with fresh grated Parmesan cheese and serve with salad and garlic bread!
TIPS WHEN MAKING EASY SPAGHETTI WITH CHICKEN
We’ve been making this Easy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole for a very long time. We’ve learned some tricks along the way that make this.
- Make sure to drain your canned tomatoes to avoid the casserole from getting too soupy.
- Leave out the cayenne pepper if you or your kids don’t like your foods spicy.
- This casserole will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. Cover with foil and keep in the pan, or transfer to an airtight container.
- To reheat this casserole, place it in a shallow oven proof dish ( like this one ) and bake covered with foil at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Top with some fresh cheddar cheese once heated through.
- Add or substitute vegetables as you would like. You might like to try adding sliced mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, broccoli florets, or black olives.
- If you are not using the cooked spaghetti right away, toss it with a little olive oil. This will prevent the pasta from sticking together.
- I recommend using milk in this recipe but you may use heavy cream instead of milk, if you prefer. If you use cream, you do not need to add flour because the cream will thicken the sauce as it cooks.
- If you would like to add a crumb topping, toss bread crumbs with a little melted butter and spread over the top. Transfer the chicken spaghetti into a baking dish and bake it in a 350 F oven until the topping browns and becomes crunchy.
- You can easily double the ingredients in this recipe to make more.
Planning a dinner party and need some inspiration?
How about looking for a new slow cooker dinner idea?
We’ve got you covered in our ever-growing Facebook group! If you’re not a member yet, why not?!
We’re chatting cooking techniques, dessert ideas, and everything in between. If you’re already a member, invite your friends to join us too!
Bring a large pan of water to a boil. Add the pasta. Cook the pasta until al dente then drain and place on a serving platter.
Meanwhile, heat the spaghetti sauce in a saucepan over medium heat.
Flatten the chicken breasts to an even thickness so they cook evenly. Season them as desired with salt, black pepper, garlic, oregano, and basil.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken on each side until golden brown. Remove from the pan and keep the chicken warm until the pasta is cooked.
To serve, dip the chicken in the spaghetti sauce then place on top of the pasta. Spoon more of the sauce over the top of the chicken and the pasta. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
The Best Chicken Spaghetti Recipe
In addition to being one of my husband’s favorite family dinners, this is also a recipe that I love to make when we have family or friends staying with us.
It’s always nice to make something that’s a little unique for guests, while also choosing dishes that don’t require a ton of time to prep and prepare.
This dish is so easy but also presents really beautifully on a plate. That creamy sauce and the pops of color thanks to the peppers really look quite lovely.
Add some fresh parsley to dress it up even more, and serve it with a warm, buttery piece of garlic toast.
This really is the best chicken spaghetti recipe!
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked by my friends and family members if I could share the recipe with them. In fact, that’s what finally prompted me to blog this recipe for all of you. Be sure to pin this one, you don’t want to forget about it.
As I mentioned, this dish is a great alternative to traditional spaghetti recipes that utilize red sauce. It’s really gone into a more frequent dinner rotation since my husband started having some stomach issues recently.
He’s sensitive to any recipes that have red sauce, which really cuts down on a lot of my tried-and-true dinner recipes. It’s great to have this cheesy and creamy chicken spaghetti dish as a dinner alternative.
My husband has stomach issues that makes him sensitive to tomato sauces, so this is a wonderfully creamy alternative for him.
As for me, I’m a huge fan of all that cheese. Doesn’t cheese just make everything taste better?
Oh, and you can certainly use any large skillet for this tasty chicken spaghetti, but here’s the cast iron skillet that I use and recommend.
I hope you enjoy my tasty chicken spaghetti casserole as much as my family does! Also, be sure to watch our fun tutorial video below to see the whole process, step by step. ❤
How to Make Chicken Spaghetti Casserole:
Boil the pasta, just so it’s kinda al dente (still has a slight bite to it).
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan. Just a tablespoon. We don’t need a whole stick or anything like that since we’re just going to sauté the veggies in it.
Cook the veggies in that melted butter, just until they’re a little bit softened up. Here’s where you can get creative. If you don’t like my choice of veggies (or more importantly, if your family refuses to eat certain veggies), change it up and add in what you’d like.
Mix nonfat milk with fat-free cream of mushroom soup.
Pour that sauce into the veggies.
Add cheese. I use extra sharp cheddar because I like that it gives a little extra bang of flavor.
It melts into the sauce nicely.
Mix in chopped, cooked chicken and the pasta.
Add some tabasco for flavor. And salt and pepper…
Pour it into a greased baking dish.
It looks pretty, doesn’t it?
More cheese. I chose Monterey Jack.
Bake it for a half hour or so, and it comes out all bubbly and hot and melty.
There are Weight Watchers Points included at the top of this post. It’s definitely not “really” a weight watcher kind of recipe, but if you’re on that sort of a diet and you feel like splurging… at least you know the details and can plan for it. I’m a firm believer in eating what you want on a diet… normal stuff in moderation. That’s what I did with this recipe. I like to have my one serving, and that’s it! Big side salad to go with. Perfect, and it is filling and satisfying too!